Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Daily life in Gwangju

Hi everyone!  I thought I would tell you about my free time outside of school.  I have gotten involved in a few projects and they are quite fun!  First, there is a group of foreigners who started a book club that I recently joined.  We meet every Wednesday at a small coffee shop downtown.  It is a nice group of people and, of course, I love to read, so it's perfect for me.  I have never been in a book club before, but I think it is something I will continue when I get home.

Secondly, a foreign teacher has also started a group to perform the Vagina Monologues and raise money for the V-Day Campaign.  I was really excited when I saw this was happening in my city, because I was involved in putting on the Monologues in college and it is a great project.  If you aren't familiar, the Vagina Monologues is a play that was written by Eve Ensler in 1998, after she interviewed thousands of women  about their experiences with domestic violence, genital mutilation, rape, and other issues surrounding women's sexuality and sexual experiences.  Her goal was to change the way we discuss these issues, and raise awareness about the astounding levels of violence that occur to women daily around the world.  It has since been performed in hundreds of countries, with all proceeds going to local community organizations that fight to stop violence against women.  Here is a video to learn more:


What is V-Day? from V-Day Until the Violence Stops on Vimeo.

I have never performed in the monologues, but I have a few small parts in this one.  I am very excited!!!  Here is a promo for the play, which will be performed at the end of April.  All the actresses got their photos done so we could share them on social media to raise awareness and have bigger crowds at our fundraising events:



We meet every Sunday for rehearsal, but we are also putting on a few other events leading up to the performance, to raise more money for our cause.  We have done a dance workshop, and will be doing a bake sale, art workshop, volleyball tournament, and open mic night in the coming weeks.  All the proceeds are going to 4 different organizations in Gwangju; 3 of them provide housing, childcare, and job training services to single mothers, who are highly stigmatized in Korea, and 1 organization is dedicated to assisting immigrant women to Korea who are experiencing domestic violence.

Between all these events, I have been busy after school and weekends, and I am greatly enjoying myself!  What is Bradley up to, you ask?  Well, he is enjoying his bike; we recently bought a couple of used ones since Spring is almost here.  He has been going on rides while I am out, and he is also enjoying his free time watching sports :)  Also, he is a GREAT house-husband who cleans the house while I am away . . . what a lovely man.

No comments:

Post a Comment